8 September 2011

Capsule Review: Paranormal Activity 2


D+

Paranormal Activity 2
2010, 91mins, 15
Director: Tod Williams
Writer (s): Michael R. Perry, Christopher B. Landon, Tom Pabst
Cast includes: Katie Featherston, Brian Boland, Molly Ephraim, Micah Sloat
UK Release Date: 22nd October 2010

I bypassed this sequel last year in cinemas, and I now resoundingly wish I hadn’t bothered catching up. This time it’s the extended family of the original film’s female protagonist being haunted, “Paranormal Activity 2” imagining itself as a prequel to the 2009 box-office smash. Where the original film slowly mounted dread and played on a sense of genuine isolation, “Paranormal Activity 2” sluggishly moves through a dreary first hour, before unleashing a manic final 20 minutes. The climax is sufficiently loud and exciting, but it isn’t enough to compensate for the dull storytelling or lack of imagination that precedes it. There’s a limit on how many times the image of a door creaking open can remain scary, “Paranormal Activity 2” blowing its quota pretty fast. A third entry in this apparent franchise is due to hit theatres later this year. After acquainting myself with this initial sequel, I can’t say I’m particularly looking forward to it.

A Review by Daniel Kelly, 2011

1 comments:

subtitledonline.com said...

Hey, can’t find any contact info on your site – which I’ve just been enjoying. Can you locate mine on http://www.subtitledonline.com and drop me a message please?

Post a Comment